Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Toilets and flight delays

I write this from Tokyo, not Hong Kong, where I'm supposed to be!

My connection between flights in Chicago was a little tight, but I made it and was even able to grab a burrito to take on with me. I thought things were going well.

Then, the captain came on to explain that, just as they were finishing their safety checks, they discovered that half the toilets on the plane weren't working and they were trying to fix them before we left. Two hours later, he comes back on to tell us that they have to pump the toilets out and that doing so could release "a biohazard"  and everyone has to get off. We disembark, but not for long.

Soon, they are rushing everyone back on the plane. You know they are in a hurry when they let all of the economy flyers use the priority lane as well as general boarding. It's a little after 4 and we are told that if the plane doesn't pull away from the gate by 4:30, the flight will be canceled. so, on we rush and the plane pulls away at 4:25.

But wait, there's more! We no sooner pull away, then we hear the engines turn off. It turns out there's bad weather on our flight path and they have to re-figure. Anyway, we are eventually airborne.

Needless to say, I missed my connecting flight to Hong Kong. The airline is putting me up at a hotel near the airport, but I had to go through immigration and customs to get here. I hate lines!

The folks at the airline in Japan were very helpful, getting me an early flight to Hong Kong, providing hotel and meals. So kudos there.

And, after spending so long traveling domestically, I'm finding there are some nice benefits to international travel"
-No baggage fees
-Meals are provided. By no means great, but edible.
-Beer and wine are free. Again, by no means good, but I had a glass of bad French white Bordeaux with dinner.
-No charge for pillows and blankets
-A selection of movies. I watched Men in Black 3, not bad, and Snow White and the Huntsman, terrible.

Hopefully, my next post will be about how wonderful Hong Kong is.

No comments:

Post a Comment